Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fast Forward to 2008

So I've moved on. I've fully embraced all that the information age, 2.0, has to offer - well almost.  As a communications professional, I can do all things to get messages across, or rather to exchange information with key audiences. We don't talk at anymore. We talk with now. It's a two way street; it's more than two ways; its networks; communities; we don't need the mainstream middleman; it's our game to lose.  Or more precisely, it's our chance to facilitate shared winning (what used to be win-win for the old school, but is now mult-dimensional winning, so we call it "shared").  

Here's where the almost comes in.  On the personal side, I just haven't moved to the part of 2.0 that requires you to completely open your personal life and personal business to the stratosphere, while distancing yourself physically from the ones most dear to heart.  

Facebook, Myspace, YouTube, Second Life.  As a child of the Cold War era, they feel so out in the open to me.  Having grown up in Wasington, even the personal blog seems like a risk.  Later, when you're applying for some top secret clearance, or waiting to get confirmed for some high-level appointment, what will the media or political opponents drudge up, misinterpret, or quote out of context?  I'd rather just call my family and friends and get together for tea or brunch.  Worse, I just look forward to those traditional gatherings that come enough during the year for me to get my fix and then get back on the treadmill that is my normal existence.  Like when we were kids. We had gatherings of family and friends for birthdays; Easter, Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day cookouts; the Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve Day season; graduations, weddings, funerals, baby showers, performances, games, and family reunions/vacations.  Everyone came to almost every event.  There was plenty of personal interaction. People ate great food, talked, laughed, took pictures, harassed babies, embarassed pre-teens, pressured the single adults, and tolerated the complaints and unsolicited advice of the elders.  We got our fill, and went back to our respective corners to carry on until the next event.  And I might add that the Family News Network (aka FNN) carried "news" 24/7 around the globe way before cable, internet, email, and cell phones.  

Having said that, I must admit that I feel some pressure to jump on out there into the social media mix.  My mom has a Facebook page and a profile on at least one of the social networks, and plays cards regularly with all sorts on the internet.  My pre-teen son has already posted a video on YouTube of himself and the baby clowning.  My child can out-tech me. My mom cannot.  So my humble foray into the new world begins back here at the blog.  This blog that I figured out three years ago, and then when back to my life and forgot about.  

I am thinking creatively how to do this, so it has some use to those who will take the time to read it. Who really cares about my evolutionary trials.  My call is to find some common ground, and a way to share what I gather and learn for those who are evolving like me.  Stay tuned.....     

Nona

No comments: