Friday, February 18, 2005

Making the Transition

Ok, it's been nearly four weeks, and I just remembered I have a blog. Mainly because four people, in four different parts of the world, have asked me to "send" them pictures of the family. This reminded me of my dinosaur status. Send, not meaning get some extra prints from the drug store and put them in snail mail. Send, meaning upload them somewhere and then send the URL or whatever to find them. Those same people have done their part, sending me four different web-photo-hosting sites, that I had to sign up for, to view their pictures. [I need a phone book (electronic, of course) just to keep up with the hundreds of logins and passwords.] So I figured I could learn how to put the pictures on my blog, to keep it simple. The only downside is that then people might actually read my blog.

Who has time to blog, when you've got to answer emails and cell phone calls, download stuff, and when you have time, bring home bacon, fry it up in a pan....yes, I'm really dating myself now.... clean up all bacon-associated messes, and never, never, let him forget he's a man... I digress.

I've been transitioning the past few weeks from my humongous desktop at work, to a lightweight, megapowerful laptop - that I can take wherever I go. It has a wireless card which connects to systems and the web at home and at work. I can take my work, keep up with my email, calendar and contacts, update to-do lists for both places, and it fits into my big purse. This "convenience" enabled me to stay up past 1:00 am twice this week, fulfilling otherwise impossible requests of my boss and a local elected leader - after picking up kid, heating a home-cooked meal, and catching up with hubby on pressing house business. I was a hero at work and home kept running. This convenience is challenging my already shaky capacity to set limits. But now that I'm in, I've got to make it all work to my advantage. My goal really is to create more quiet time, while getting the same mind-boggling quantity of high-quality things accomplished. If all this getting up to speed can't do that, then I'm going back to the stone age.

So as I sit here on a Friday afternoon, contemplating my exhaustion, and the list for the week is still unfinished, I ask myself why I am taking time to blog. Perhaps it's a cry for help. But who has time to read it? I'm going away for the long weekend, to a place where no internet connection exists, and hopefully my cell phone will be out of range.

N

1 comment:

Joli said...

Nona!!!

This is awesome--thanks for sending this to me. The blog is brilliant and the pictures are fantastic!

You and your husband are a very good-looking couple--you look beautiful although it's just struck me that I've not ever seen you with long hair before!

The children are just gorgeous--no surprise there, of course--thank you again for sending these and looking forward to more posts and pictures!

(And in wanting to post a comment to you I've ended up opening a blog myself, so let's see if I actually fill it out with anything!)

Take care and keep up the good work!
Love, Joli xo