Monday, January 24, 2005

Dinosaur Evolving

I feel like such a dinosaur. I literally live and breath communications, yet I know little of the new technologies. I thought I was doing something when I got an email account in the nineties, and then committed to not only owning and activating, but also responding to the calls on a cell phone several years ago. They keep adding new technologies that are supposed to make life "easier". I can attest to it being faster maybe. I don't know if being tracked down whereever I am by anyone who wants to find me makes my life easier. It does seem to inspire staying out of trouble and doing what you're supposed to do. I guess there's virtue in that.

Tell me again why I would want to have 5,000 songs on a little thing that I wouldn't even find at the bottom of my purse? Who can listen to 3 of those songs, before someone is ringing your cell phone or sending you an email that isn't really time-sensitive, but they expect an immediate reply because they know you received it immediately? Here's one more interesting paradox: all this advanced communication is less private, more intrusive, yet less personal. My dear friend from college sent me her whole wedding photo album from some website. I was grateful and delighted to be able to vicariously share in the wedding that took place thousands of miles away, but I'll probably never see her again. I remember how my girlfriends and mom rushed over to my house to see the newly printed photos from my wedding. What's more, they were actually at my wedding. I feel I'm slowly becoming desensitized to human contact. Why bother to brush my teeth or do my hair every day?

I'll admit it. All the new innovations and possibilities are exciting. They are stretching people like me, who are used to slow change, out of our comfort zone, into a whole new reality. Stretching creates flexibility, which creates more possibilities. Hopefully(?), I'll be one of those dinosaurs that adapts to the changing environment, and thrives as a modern beast.

So here's my first ever blog - for whatever its worth.

NMRich

No comments: